We need to make sure that in any continuous process-controlled manufacturing line, various pumps that are fitted in the line must work in the most efficient manner. In order to achieve this, we have to depend upon a number of external factors like proper piping design. Quite often we are constrained due to budgetary limitation and may end up doing certain compromise in selecting the right quality of sanitary fitting or piping and as a result, there can be operational failure or sometimes it may also result in increase in unplanned activities like frequent repairs.
Therefore, in order to have much smooth operation of your manufacturing line, it is necessary that you must follow the below mentioned tips.
- While selecting your parts for suction pipework, make sure that the diameter of the pipe must be at least of the size of pump suction or little larger so that you can maintain a suction velocity in the ranges of 1 to 1.5 m/sec maximum.
- Using any tight bends may cause turbulence in the line and hence always prefer to use bends of larger radius and full-bore valves, so that turbulence will be bare minimum.
- Instead of using concentric reducers, prefer to use eccentric reducers and also prefer to keep the level side at the top position so that there is no air trapping within the pipeline.
- Suction pipework must be as short as possible, by maintaining pipe length about 5 to 10 times of the diameter of the pipe, after there is any direction change in valves or piping.
- Provide very secured support to pipeline and make sure that squareness is maintained while fitting them so that straining of casing and branches be prevented.
- In suction pipework, avoid high points as much possible and may include a vent at the highest point. Your pump may shut down if air gets into the pump and can damage the pump too. Make sure that all suction piping work is fully airtight.
- Avoid throttling the pump’s suction side to reduce the flow rather you must use discharge side. There can be cavitation if you throttle the suction side.
- Try to include pressure gauge at certain strategic points of the pipeline, as this will be very helpful while trouble shooting any running line, in order to identify the problem area.
These are all the precautions that you need to do while setting up your production line so that it becomes convenient to fit sanitary replacements parts while you face problem in the running line.